Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Crazy Art I Saw In Belgium - Part 7

I'm no art expert at all.  Sure I make art all the time, but frankly I have no idea what's good art and what's bad art. I just make things that I like and hope others feel the same way.  On my recent trip to Belgium I came across a lot of art, and much of this art was a little strange to me.  I'm not saying it was bad, I'm just saying that I don't understand the narrative that the artist was trying to get across.
Sure half a horse is a strange idea for a piece of art, but not that strange.  Why not make his saddle look like two planks of wood making for a very uncomfortable place to sit?  That's strange, wouldn't you say?  The thing is this piece of art goes from kind of strange, to very strange, to not strange at all, then back to strange again.  After dealing with the shock of being puzzled by this piece I decided to read the plaque next to it.  Apparently back in the old days a common torture was to make men sit on two planks of wood, similar to the ones on this horse.  They would have to sit on the planks and would sometimes have weights on their ankles, not fun.  So this piece of art is supposed to represent that torture.  See, it was kind of strange (a half a horse), then really strange (the wooden saddle), then not strange at all (a little piece of history), finally strange again (why would you want a piece of art representing that kind of torture?).

Later