Friday, November 18, 2011

Crazy Art I Saw In Belgium - Part 4

I'm no art expert at all.  Sure I make art all the time, but frankly I have no idea what's good art and what's bad art. I just make things that I like and hope others feel the same way.  On my recent trip to Belgium I came across a lot of art, and much of this art was a little strange to me.  I'm not saying it was bad, I'm just saying that I don't understand the narrative that the artist was trying to get across.
Many cities all over the world have a piece of art that they are well known for.  Paris has the Mona Lisa, Rome has the Trevi Fountain and Brussels has Manneken Pis.  You would hope that the name was an unfortunate choice for a beautiful piece of art, but not so.  This statue of a little boy peeing is the symbol of not just the city of Brussels, but this entire country.
People crowd around this statue and line the streets wanting to glimpse an artistic rendition of a little boy taking a wiz.
 Even large corporations use it to advertise.  This coke machine has to be one of the worst ideas I've ever seen.  I'm not sure if a little boy peeing into a coke bottle is really the image you want to promote.
 Local restaurants use it as well.  I wonder what a french fry extrudes, mashed potatoes, mayonnaise, if he's unhealthy maybe ketchup?
You pretty much can't turn a corner without seeing a rendition of a little boy peeing.  It makes me feel uncomfortable as a grown man, and makes me feel like I have to pee pretty much constantly.

Later