Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Dear Greek Ministry of Tourism...

Snow on my balcony this morning.
I know that times are tough in Greece right now, and gaining the tourist dollar is very important to you right now, but I have a humble request.  Please tell people around the world that it actually gets kind of cold here in Greece.  I know it's not really the image you want to portray of your country, and I know tourist flock here to see the wonders that are the islands, the countryside, and the monuments, all things that are wonderful to see on a warm spring afternoon.  My problem however, a selfish one at that, is with my friends and family (most of whom live in Canada).  My friends and family keep telling me how lucky I am to be living in such a warm environment, and many believe that Greece is actually a tropical climate.  So when I complain that today is a little cold, I'm instantly mocked and told that I'm being silly.  The reason I'm asking you, the Greek Ministry of Tourism, to tell people that it actually gets cold her in Greece, is so my friends might have an appreciation of the fact that I brought my warm winter clothes for a reason, and that it's not warm here every single day.  If you are unable to launch a campaign that points this out to the world, a simple letter to my friends and family will suffice.

Your friend
Chris Stewart