Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Time To Colour Blue Orchid

Over the last few years I've started to develop styles for colouring and inking my artwork. Right now I'm playing with a formula that I really like for my comic project called Blue Orchid.


To finish the drawings I use a combination of ink and pencil lines. I have an under drawing that I do, and while I do erase it, I don't always erase it well. After I ink it, I erase it, then I add in pencil lines and shading. The next step is to photograph the art.


After that I colour it in photoshop. I use a lot of layers and rely heavily on "linear burn". The goal of this colouring style is to make sure that it still looks like it was drawn. While I like super slick and clean drawings, and I like some realism in drawing, I wanted this look to look like it was a drawing.

I'll be posting more examples and steps on the creation of my comic, make sure to check back here whenever you can, or you can also follow me on social media to see more sketches as they come up.