Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Don't Buy a Lifetime Supply of Anything

A few years back I was at Costco and I noticed that they had q-tips on sale.  If you bought two boxes you go a third for free.  I like to use three q-tips every time I take a shower.  I won't go into detail about what I use them for because frankly people will either be grossed out or tell me how wrong I am.  So when I saw this sale on q-tips I thought I would stock up.  In fact I did a little math in my head and estimated how many q-tips I would need for the rest of my life.  I figured that they don't go bad, and chances are with the way regular economic inflation works, I'd never see them that cheap again.  So I bought the appropriate number of boxes that I estimated I would need for the rest of my life.  It sounds like a good idea, but there is one very depressing thing I had never thought of.  Every time I finish one of the boxes of q-tips I can see how much closer I am to death.  As the pile of boxes shrinks, I get a little nervous and sad.  I think when I hit the halfway point in my collection of q-tips I will sit in a chair and freak out for a few weeks.  So, no matter how good the deal, never buy a life time supply of anything.

Later