Monday, August 15, 2011

A Day At The Archaeological Museum

Most people might post a blog full of important, and beautiful, treasures they'd seen when visit they've visited an archaeological museum.  Me, I'm just going to post a series of photos of things that creeped me out.  The first thing I discovered was that whenever a piece had been taken away they left a little note.  These notes also included a little photograph of the piece.  I figure these where there to make sure you knew what you missed.
I also discovered that old metal (maybe bronze, I never read the little cards) have the craziest stares.
This one will haunt my dreams for decades.
Sometimes it makes me sad to see damaged art, sometimes it give me nightmares.
This statue can easily be the strangest situation I've ever seen depicted in marble.  Apparently it's Aphrodite, and a Cherub (I can't remember it's name) fighting off Pan's (sexual?) advances.  Best of all Aphrodite's weapon of choice... Her shoe.

Later