Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Little Something About The Word Pink

These photos are from my photo site Beware the Cheese.
I've never really liked the word "pink".  I don't like it because it often has a bad reputation among artists and people uncomfortable with their femininity.  In many countries the colour pink is often similar (or the same as) the word rose.  The word rose comes from the flower, or so the internet leads me to believe.  The word pink has a convoluted origin and either comes from a term meaning little (as in pinky finger), or from a term meaning to cut out (pinking sheers).  Either way I still believe that the word "Pink" isn't a good word to use.
These photos are from my photo site Beware the Cheese.
I thought to myself, maybe from here on in I'm going to use the word rose in order to describe pink.  Then I heard a song (in Greek) that had the word for pink in it.  They call it light red.  That makes even more sense than Pink or Rose.  After all if I came across a pink rose, would I call it a rose rose?  So now I'm thinking that I should just call it a light red.  Why do all the other colours get a "light" version, but light red is stuck with a silly word like pink?  I don't know why I though about this so much today.

Later