Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I Think The Store "Jumbo" (A Chain in Greece) Owes Me 2 Cents.

Last night Allison and I went shopping at our local Jumbo store.  Jumbo is a chain of discount stores that specializes in toys, but has other stuff too.  Our adventure was all about trying to find a Valentine's Day treat for me to review on candycritic.org.  We found the perfect treat, and headed to the cash register.  With my two items in hand, I noticed that the lady slipped in a third item, a pink package, into my bag.  It turns out that she slipped in something called a "Cosmetix Card".  Keep in mind that I am a 30+ year old guy with no kids.  I figured that it was some kind of promotion "freebie", but didn't really know what it was.
After checking the back of the package, I realized that it was probably lip gloss.  The two strange things about this "freebie" was first of all, why give a 30+ year old guy makeup, and secondly why was most (if not all) of the package written in Spanish?
I eventually opened the package to find a strange plastic credit card sized thing that seemed to contain various colours of what I can only hope is lip gloss.  There appears to be some kind of picture on this card that is tied into some show that is probably geared towards 12 year old girls (and not 30+ year old guys).  It also came with a pamphlet explaining how to apply makeup properly.  While I was fairly befuddled about getting this in my bag, I was totally dumbfounded to find out one more detail...
They charged me for it.  Sure they only charged me 2 cents, but they slipped something in my bag that I didn't want, that was obviously not for someone in my demographic, and then made me pay for it.  I'm not sure what the laws in Greece are about this sort of thing, but I can tell you that I actually felt a little ripped off.  I could attempt to give it away to someone who has a 12 year old girl, but that's not creepy at all, is it.  Here little girl, would you like some makeup to make you look more grown up? Says the 30+ year old guy.

Later