Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A Few Strange Things I Saw In Thessaloniki

Of all the cities in Greece, Thessaloniki is truly one of the hippest, cultural cities in the whole country.  Although Athens has the big museums and archaeology sits, Thessaloniki has a much hipper/stranger view of the world, and there's not better way to see this than by simply looking around.  As I've always thought, the best way to judge a city, is by how completely strange it's public art/spaces are.
 One of the first pieces of public "art" I found was this mangled piece of steel with bikes twisted up inside.  I can't say for sure if this is intended to be art, or if it's some kind of strange accident.
 I want to take this home and put it next to my alarm clock.  That way when I try to hit the snooze, I'll see this looking back at me and I'll be more awake than ever before.
 All of the utility boxes in Thessaloniki are decorated to look like robots... how cool is that?
Last, and most certainly not least, it appears that Thessaloniki is attempting to beat out Belgium for the creepiest public statue that makes you feel wrong just for looking at it.  Manikin Piss in Belgium depicts a small boy peeing into a fountain.  In Thessaloniki we have a slightly older boy both peeing and spitting into a fountain...  This is seriously wrong.

Later