Tuesday, August 22, 2017

From Poutine to the Mekong - Vancouver to Hong Kong delay


So here we are sitting in the airport, delayed. Two things are floating through my brain. First of all I continue to be mystified by the fact that HSBC has world domination when it comes to advertising on jetways. I've seen many parts of the world, and the first thing I always see is the reasons I should invest with HSBC. It doesn't bother me, it just seems odd that they could get such a huge share of this market.

Secondly, we're delayed. We got to the check in desk and the lady told us that there was a delay because of the typhoon. We've been so out of touch that we had no idea there was a typhoon in Hong Kong (where we're going). It's OK with us since we're happy to just chill out in the airport. I did however decide to look up this typhoon and see how it might affect our flight. Logistically it's not perfect, but it's not the worst. I did learned that the name of this troublesome storm is Hato. I asked a nice lady here who spoke Chinese, what does Hato mean? She told me it's just a name, and it means nothing. That's disappointing, so for the sake of making myself feel better I'm going to just say that it means airplane diverter, or maybe as Allison suggested it's Japanese for "hat".

P.S. We are the only couple in the world who seems to find the idea of egg salad sandwiches to be hilarious.

Later