Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Let There Be Hair

 While in Lithuania, Allison and I decided to visit a church that contained a rather strange item.
The item pictured above (sorry it's a little blurry) is a figure of Jesus.  Nothing strange about that in a church, however this figure of Jesus happens to have real human hair.  200 year old human hair to be exact, from a priest or cardinal or something.  The strangest thing of all is after walking into the church I quickly realized that this human hair Jesus was not in fact the strangest thing on display.
The church was totally filled with strange sculptures all over the walls.  Some where kind of normal, saints and religious figures, but some I just can't explain.
Take for example this baby holding a sword at the door, now that can't be safe.
Or this cherub that appears to be forcefully kissing another cherub.
My favorite was this lady holding a pair of pliers.  I assume she's the patron saint of tooth removal.
Strangest of all was this machine.  For 5 Litas (about 2.5 dollars) you can light up the church so you can take better photographs.  I assume it's all automated, but I didn't try it out, I felt dirty paying for "enlightenment" in a religious place.

Later